Updated Friday, April 15, 2016
You may not know this (apologies if you do) but Algeria is the biggest country by area in Africa – measuring 919,995 square miles – and has a population of 38 million people, an estimated 70% of which are aged under 30.
The country is the UK’s fourth largest market in Africa and in 2013 UK export trade was worth £529 million, making it second only to Egypt in north Africa – a country it could overtake if the Egyptian unrest continues.
So it’s well worth doing business there if you’re looking into Africa, and the UK’s main exports to Algeria include:
- transport equipment (£88 million)
- specialised machinery (£73 million)
- road vehicles (£48 million)
- power machinery (£43 million)
- iron and teel (£42 million)
- chemicals (£42 million)
If you’re thinking of joining them you’ll need a reliable and cost-effective international conference call provider.
The pros and cons of exporting to Algeria
Many major UK businesses such as BP, Glaxo Smith Kline, HSBC, Jaguar Land Rover, Shell and Unilever all operate from Algeria.
The benefits of UK businesses exporting to Algeria include:
- only two and a half hours by direct flight from London
- political and social stability
- a young population (an estimated 70% are under 30)
- a stable nation, with a desire to work with the UK
There are also a number of challenges UK businesses will face when doing business there, including:
- bureaucracy inherited from a history of francophone and eastern bloc influences
- the 51/49 investment law
- the ongoing process to join the World Trade Organization (WTO)
- some corruption, however, scores fairly well on the corruption index
Setting up the call
Go to ConferenceCall.co.uk to get your free PIN and then click on ‘Invite Participants’ to generate an email template.
Enter the time, date and subject of the proposed conference call, choose UK and Algeria dial-in codes, then click ‘Copy this invitation’, paste it into an email and to up to 100 participants.
Dial-in numbers to call
At the allotted time colleagues should dial the following numbers and enter your PIN:
– UK participants dial 0843 0 250 250
– Algeria participants dial 098-3200324
Your conference call is ready to begin!
Time to call
Sat on the northern tip of Africa, Algiers is just shy of 1,500 miles south of the UK and it takes around two-and-a-half hours to fly there.
But with just an hour’s time difference – Algeria is an hour ahead of the UK – why bother with expensive and time-consuming flights when you can conference call during your normal business hours?