The weekend is almost here and that means many of us can catch up on some much needed sleep – even if you work from home, your hectic schedule can see you miss out on some much-needed rest during the week.
How much sleep do we really need to be at our best though? And is there any link between a good night’s rest and a successful business?
Let’s grab a coffee and take a look…
How much sleep do you need?
The amount of sleep we need to function correctly depends not only upon the person, but also upon the circumstances, and quality of sleep can be affected by all sorts of things, from your stress levels to the quality of your mattress.
On average, though, an adult needs between seven and nine hours sleep a night, according to research from the National Sleep Foundation.
As part of this research, the National Sleep Foundation brought together a panel of experts from sleep, anatomy and physiology, as well as pediatrics, neurology, gerontology and gynecology to reach a consensus from the broadest range of scientific disciplines.
This panel revised the recommended sleep ranges for all six children and teen age groups, to come up with the following, age-specific recommended sleep times:
- Newborns (0-3 months) – Sleep range narrowed to 14-17 hours each day (previously it was 12-18)
- Infants (4-11 months) – Sleep range widened two hours to 12-15 hours (previously it was 14-15)
- Toddlers (1-2 years) – Sleep range widened by one hour to 11-14 hours (previously it was 12-14)
- Preschoolers (3-5) – Sleep range widened by one hour to 10-13 hours (previously it was 11-13)
- School age children (6-13) – Sleep range widened by one hour to 9-11 hours (previously it was 10-11)
- Teenagers (14-17) – Sleep range widened by one hour to 8-10 hours (previously it was 8.5-9.5)
- Younger adults (18-25) – Sleep range is 7-9 hours (new age category)
- Adults (26-64) – Sleep range did not change and remains 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+) – Sleep range is 7-8 hours (new age category)
But is there any link between a good night’s sleep and a successful businessperson?
Sleeping their way to success?
Home Arena, an online furnishing store, pulled together the sleep habits of 21 of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs – how does your sleep schedule measure up?